Have you ever found yourself so absorbed in a task whether business or personal, that you obsess over the minute details… the size of the font on a presentation, the outfit your child is wearing in their school photo, the dimensions of your office compared to your coworker’s down the hall? Have you gotten so lost in the little ins and outs of everyday life that you’ve forgotten about the big picture?
The Big Picture. It’s like jumping in an airplane and flying over your life so you can get a view of the whole thing all at once. So why is it so important to focus on the big picture?
Taking a step back from the monotony of everyday life allows us to do a mental “check in” on our goals and where we stand in regard to them. It helps us to figure out if the steps we are taking are in line with what we’re trying to accomplish and worth the time and energy we are putting in.
Big-picture thinking also helps you to learn from all of your experiences, both good and bad. By keeping your mind focused on the larger plan and your long-term goals, you aren’t as apt to be taken down by small failures or overcome by small successes. Staying focused on the big picture allows you to learn from and build on every experience along the way.
So how do you get a handle on the big picture?
- Write down how you are spending your time each day and determine if it’s helping you to reach your long-term goals or if changes need to be made
- Put your long-term goals down in writing (1 year, 5 years, 10 years). Make sure they are specific and measurable.
- Ask your colleagues, professors, classmates or clients to give you honest feedback about you and your business. Are you being perceived by others the way you want to be?
- Take classes or learn new skills that may play into your career at a later point even if you can’t incorporate them at the present moment. Invest in your future!
- Find a Coach to partner with you
Are you focusing on the big picture or getting lost in the details?